Inspiration cometh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, sort of. (did I just end another sentence with a preposition? was that even a sentence??? oh no, and I am just getting started….not a good sign ha, ha). I really have so much going on that perhaps I should write this particular blog utilizing the bullet point feature as I won’t have to worry about making my paragraphs flow in any particular order. (Oh no…………….did I actually say “bullet”?????? Mea culpa, mea culpa, I certainly am not known to be politically correct!!! Ha, ha!!!)
- If you are a Facebook friend of mine you may have already seen this picture. A couple of weeks ago it was suggested to the TGIF grandchildren & their cousins Tori and Grace that the victims of the Oklahoma tornadoes were in need of a lot of help and that the Mercury One Charity was guaranteeing that 100% of any donated money would go directly to the people of Moore and the surrounding area. And so on a Friday instead of gathering at my house, the kids all walked to Christine’s house from school and immediately pitched in serving lemonade and distributing the brownies, cookies and fudge to the many “customers” who had heard about their disaster relief effort. It was quite a spur of the moment decision, but we were all astonished at the amount raised in only a couple of hours ($300.00) and we sincerely thank all of those who stopped by and gave so generously. When we open our hearts in humble obedience to God’s commandment to love one another as God loves us, there is no limit to the good that can God can produce in each one of us.
I must make mention before continuing, that I began this blog on June 8th………what in the world has become of my self-discipline???? It is now the evening of June 20th and tomorrow is the first day of summer and then the days will start growing shorter and the sky will grow darker earlier and then my birthday will arrive and I will turn sixty-five (can’t write it numerically as seeing it that way makes me twitch!) you do see what happens when I turn my OCD mind loose, don’t you?? Anyway, with any luck I may be able to stay focused long enough to reach the magic 1200 word marker.
- Speaking of OCD…….Tommy decided that he was going to have his Mom throw him a “graduation” from pre-school party and so Stephanie, always ready for a party herself, readily complied. They invited everyone over to their house for a cook-out complete with light sticks, smores, a bit of wiffle ball and some basketball…………all in all a pretty good “party”!! Well Mayce was having one of her…………shall we just refer to them as………..”moments” (please see a previous blog post regarding her manner of disciplining her dolls). At any rate, she was being very particular about the way her plate was situated on the table and so someone mentioned that she was acting a little OCD (popular catch word in my family these days!) and Mayce immediately picked up on that and shouted out, “It’s not OCD, it’s ABC!!!!!” Thank goodness for her that she can make us all laugh, otherwise her stubbornness would be getting her in a whole lot more trouble!
- As you know I am a great admirer of the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip and receive a daily e-mail from the Calvin archives which I then forward to my sisters and to Jenn, Meg, Steph and Jess. Last month I sent the following Calvin cartoon stating: I think Calvin & I are related…………………wait……………………………..no, I don’t think, I know!!!!!!
- Below is the cartoon that prompted the ensuing e-mail replies:
Christine: …doors left open, lights left on, gnats, empty toilet paper rolls, toothpaste in the sink, I could go on and on and on….
M.M.: ….overgrown euonymus, cracks in walls, peeling outdoor paint, siding fallen from garage walls, phone calls from 800 area code, semi-full water bottles from unknown drinkers, expired food products hiding in refrigerator, endless litany of mail regarding medicare & advanced funeral planning, I could go on and on and on……..
Cecilia: …..trash overflowing, dirty clothes NEXT to the hamper, dirty dishes NEXT to the dish washer, husband asleep clutching the remote, no gas when I finally get my car, grocery store, fixing dinner for four and four extras show up, cooking for eight and two show up, oh, and did I mention the grocery store, and I could go on and on and on and on………..!
Guess Calvin really is related to me……….. and my sisters as well LOL!!!!!!
- I often wish we could adjust the speed or slowness to which we get through our days………push a button to accelerate the days that are too painful or too anxiety ridden or too hot or too cold or too dreary; and slow down the days that are filled with sunshine, moderate temps, warm, gentle breezes and joyful occasions which bring together family and friends. I was looking for that “slow down” button last week as our family made a trip back to the OBX along with 33 extended family members. We were fortunate to find two houses in Corolla directly across the street from each other and so we placed 24 family members in one house and 26 in the other………our own version of “Survivor”! LOL Each family group was assigned a day and were charged with the responsibility for purchasing, preparing and cleaning up the evening meal. This worked great as it meant you only had one day out of six that you had to think about putting on that “pot of boiling” water for dinner. The weather was cooperative so that everyone was able to get in adequate ocean and pool time, the houses were complete with many amenities pool tables, air hockey, hot tubs, fire pit, volleyball and theater/media rooms….a little something for everyone no matter their age or their personality. And……..we had plenty of personalities :)!! Just a little picture gallery of those “personalities”:
I can hardly believe that I am just thirty words away from my target blogpost number…………..egads……….I used another politically incorrect word……..do you think the IRS, the NSA, the CIA, the FBI are monitoring me???????????????????? You will all vouch for me………..won’t you????? I am, after all, just a harmless nut who seeks nothing but limited government and religious freedom and the right to bear arms and…………..oops, forgot myself there for a minute!!!! One good thing about being with 49 other family members all week long was that I didn’t have time to keep up with my political e-mails and occasional Facebook postings, so hope everyone enjoyed the break :)!!
Well, now wouldn’t you know………a couple of weeks ago I had bookmarked a reading from my daily devotional that I had decided was perfect for my next blog, but as I opened my book for the reading today I recognized that perhaps Jesus was “calling” me to write “diaryofanut” on this particular day, as the reading is especially fitting:
I speak to you continually. My nature is to communicate, though not always in words. I fling glorious sunsets across the sky, day after day after day. I speak in the faces and voices of loved ones. I caress you with a gentle breeze that refreshes and delights you. I speak softly in the depths of your spirit, where I have taken up residence.
You can find Me in each moment, when you have eyes that see and ears that hear. Ask My Spirit to sharpen your spiritual eyesight and hearing. I rejoice each time you discover My Presence. Practice looking and listening for Me during quiet intervals. Gradually you will find Me in more and more of your moments. You will seek Me and find Me, when you seek Me above all else. Jesus Calling
When you call Me, when you go to pray to Me, I will listen to you. When you look for Me, you will find Me. Yes, when you seek Me with all your heart, you will find Me with you, says the Lord, and I will change your lot. Jeremiah 19: 13-14
I truly do see more and more evidence of God’s presence in this world and in my life through not only the miracles of His creation such as this beautiful beach sunset, but also through the “faces and voices” of my loved ones. I believe I have been richly blessed in this regard because the circumstances of the past several years have literally brought me to my knees in prayer, seeking God’s wisdom, comfort and hope.
You know, a few days ago I found myself in a rather pensive mood and I was thinking about the blog and that maybe it had run its course in my life. I thought about some of the pictures posted on Facebook asking for a million “likes” so that a kid’s parents would consent to taking him to Disney World. And I thought, maybe that is what I should do……..see if I could get 50 “likes” on the blog and that would mean I should keep at it. But as I write, I realize that I am actually reinforcing for myself all of the things that really matter to me………..family, faith, friends. So I will just stumble along as the Spirit guides me for as often as I am drawn to this, I will keep it going. Maybe one day in the distant future, one of the grandchildren will read through it all and decide that Papa was right all along……………..Nana really was a “Nut”!!!!
P.S. I thought I should add this sentimental picture I took at the beach house. The second morning we were there, I turned around from the dining room table and saw this picture of Crick that Jennifer had placed on the sofa table. It was a wonderful gesture as it kept him ever close in our thoughts that week…….especially when Stephanie and Christopher both went out to buy Duck Donuts and didn’t tell each other they were going and we ended up with over sixty very expensive doughnuts!!!!!!!
P.P.S Again, for anyone who is not a Facebook follower and might be interested in this short video I put together as a Father’s Day remembrance for all of the grandchildren I have added it to the blog: